Lead Python Developer
Location: Philadelphia, PA
My client is a funded startup, Picwell, developing complex decision-support tools that enable consumers to optimize health insurance decisions. Their software leverages big data, predictive analytics, and machine learning techniques. The company closed a $7M Series A round in early 2016 which includes funding from the investment arms of leading insurers.
Picwell is currently seeking Senior Developers ideally with Python experience to join their talented technology team of engineers (including DevOps), data engineers, and data scientists.
WHY Join PICWELL?
Build products that will help millions of users make important life-changing decisions. Join an accomplished, intelligent team that includes several Ph.D. and MS grads. Use the best available tools and contribute to Picwell's own open source software efforts. Gain exposure to the most in-demand industry skills around big data and machine learning while solving complex technical challenges. Experience the excitement and energy of a startup while earning market salary, equity, and a mature and robust benefits package.
What you'll do
Your will build, maintain, and scale Picwell APIs and underlying web service infrastructure. The company currently has two enterprise health insurance recommendation product lines to which you will contribute new features and improvements. You’ll help to scale the platform architecture to accommodate new clients and support new products down the road. You may help to build new product and service teams as the company grows.
- work with healthcare/economics specialists to specify complex business logic
- collaborate with data engineers to improve sophisticated cost-simulators
- work with data scientists to build predictive models for production deployment
- mentor peers and junior level team members
- contribute to the iterative improvement of development processes
You will also enjoy significant ownership over your work.
- web services built with Python and Flask
- version control using Git and GitHub
- application data storage with MySQL, Redis, LMDB
- analysis of large data sets in Amazon RedShift, S3
- infrastructure hosted in Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- data pipeline built with Pandas, PySpark, Luigi, Engarde
- configuration management with Chef
These tools are not all required or central to the role, and Picwell is open to developers from a mix of backgrounds. If you know some of the above, awesome! If not, you’ll pick it up on the job.
Picwell believes that successful candidates will have several of the following experiences/attributes:
- you’ve written and deployed software into a production environment
- you’ve used version control to write software with contributors
- you have experience with back-end web and/or API development using comparable tools
- you aim to write readable, well-abstracted, testable code
- you have strong communication skills and strive to be a thoughtful, empathetic colleague
You would be a great fit if some of the following also describe you:
- you have developed software for B2B or SaaS efforts
- you enjoy writing software collaboratively (e.g. code review, pair programming)
- you’ve worked on applications with a distributed architecture
- you want a dynamic environment where you are continually learning and growing
- you’d be excited to apply technology to societal problems
Picwell employees receive:
- Competitive salaries based on market rates, as well as stock options
- 17 days of paid time off, not including holidays
- 401k (no current matching)
- Health insurance, vision, and dental, with Picwell contribution equal to 60-90% (for employee and dependents) based upon plan chosen
- Scheduled company lunches and team outings
Picwell is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at their company. As such, they especially encourage members of marginalized groups to apply. They do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, cis/transgender status, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.