Software Engineer - OPen Source Product Development
Location: Philadelhpia, PA
Our client Azavea is a Philadelphia-based civic technology firm that uses geospatial data to build software and data analytics for the web. They are looking to grow their Operations team to support new cloud computing operations capacity. Azavea both builds custom web apps and SaaS in several civic domains, including: climate change, urban ecosystem management, public safety, watersheds, and elections.
They are looking for a Software Engineer for their Urban Ecosystems team. A person that is passionate about building software that will have a positive impact – someone interested in public service, but not necessarily in working for a government or a non-profit organization, and someone who enjoys working in a variety of technology environments.
Azavea is a B Corporation committed to working on projects that have social and civic impact and advancing the state-of-the-art through research. Customers are local governments, non-profit organizations and academic or federal research projects. They build custom apps; perform geospatial analysis; manage several open source civic software projects (DistrictBuilder, OpenTreeMap, and others); and develop an open source, high performance computing framework, GeoTrellis, that enables them to build fast analytical applications by distributing the geospatial data processing. Developers work across the technology stack from database and application servers to modern, browser-based front-ends.
The Urban Ecosystems Team
What You’ll Do:
- Implement application code, APIs, and web or mobile clients based on wireframes and designs developed by the UI/UX Design team.
- Engage in multidisciplinary work that applies an agile process (scrum board, daily stand-ups, and two-week iterations) to database design, architecture, development, testing, and deployment.
- Optimize database, server, and client performance to create applications with both functional and responsive user experiences.
- Build, provision, and deploy servers in a repeatable way to AWS.
- Respond to and assist the OpenTreeMap open source community.
- Contribute to both a growing company and to the open source communities that support the work.
- Express solid understanding of MVC architecture, RESTful design patterns, and the DRY principle.
- Be comfortable managing VMs and working in a Linux environment.
- Be interested in working with a small, collaborative team on meaningful projects.
- Get excited about a diversity of both projects and technologies.
You get extra points for:
- Background in math and statistics or experience with R.
- Experience with open source or commercial geospatial toolkits like OpenLayers, Leaflet, GeoServer, PostGIS, CartoDB, ArcGIS, and GoogleMaps.
- Experience with mobile apps (Objective C, Android or responsive HTML).
- Experience scaling apps within AWS.
- Experience provisioning servers with Ansible.
- Knowledge of distributed data processing frameworks, like Hadoop, Amazon MR, etc.
- Demonstrating your open source or other community service contributions.
- Background in projects related to sustainability and the environment.
Office and Benefits
The Philadelphia office is located in a brightly lit office on the 5th floor of a converted factory building in the Callowhill neighborhood, a short walk from Center City, the Reading Terminal Market and SEPTA subway and regional rail stations. For bicyclists, they have in-house bike parking, a shower and lockers. It’s an open office plan with several smaller rooms for team meetings, private space and concentration time. You get a top-end Linux workstation, Mac or Windows laptop with a pile of memory for VMs and extra monitors. They have flex-time to deal with personal stuff, and most employees work a 40 – 45 hour week on a regular schedule. After the first six months, developers can also spend up to 10% of their time on a geospatial open source, professional development, or R&D project.
They offer a salary commensurate with skills and experience and a benefits package that includes:
- Fully subsidized health care, dental, prescription plan, including for spouse/partner and children
- Medical reimbursement plan to cover what the health insurance does not
- Retirement plan with matching percentage
- Almost 4 weeks paid vacation plus sick/personal time off
- Family and medical leave
- Flexible work schedule
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Paid time off for voting and volunteering
- Education assistance plan
- Student loan assistance
- Public transit and biking reimbursement plans
- Monthly lunches on the house
- 10% time for Research or Training Projects
- Profit-sharing bonus plan
- Financial transparency through an open book policy
- Kind, capable and thoughtful colleagues
Azavea welcomes qualified candidates from all walks of life and value diversity in our company, and prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, military service, disability unrelated to job requirements, marital status, or domestic partner status.