Software Engineer - Scala/Python/Go
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Vistar Media is a promising and profitable three-year-old Philly software firm building an advertising platform that enables brands to reach consumers based on their behavior in the physical world. They work with enormous data sets to understand where consumers go throughout the day using geospatial technology. Vistar has a small engineering team that faces (and welcomes) enormous technical challenges.
The company has a mature engineering culture with an established and well-tested codebase, and Vistar engineers work with many different languages and platforms daily. They perform code reviews on a regular basis and provide engineers with a high degree of autonomy. Technologies used by Vistar include Scala, Python, Go (golang), Spark, CoffeeScript, PostgreSQL / PostGIS, EC2, SQS, DynamoDB, React.js, Flux, and Flask.
- Be versed in at least one compiled, one interpreted language and one web framework
- Have extensive experience with distributed systems
- Have coded a non-trivial system soup to nuts. CSS, persistence, deployment, et cetera
- Understand Linux to a degree where you’d be comfortable admin’ing a fleet of boxes
- Be able to design and implement a large, efficient codebase
- Be able to ballpark the computational complexity of a snippet of code
- Understand HTTP
- Be able to decompose business requirements into a set of RESTful resources
- Be opinionated about your tools. Love jQuery? Great. Hate jQuery? Great.
- Have experience with the full stack. From the database to CSS.
- Be able to both identify and implement a practical test suite
nice to haves:
- Have run a system on EC2
- Know how to decompose an algorithm to map/combine/reduce phases
- Have worked with language abstractions like CoffeeScript and less
- Have experience coaxing functional requirements out of business requirements
- Know right where to look when your friend has messed up their .htaccess
- Have experience in the advertising industry
- Write a practical test suite for your personal code and push it to a CI server
- Like using tools like Git Flow to organize releases, features, and fixes
Vistar offers competitive market salaries, stock options, an open vacation policy, flexible office hours, and health and vision insurance. They recently moved into a new space on Walnut Street in Center City with private offices, a kitchen, and a breakout space.